Lexus, Toyota Prius and Honda Jazz cars targeted in Brentford and Isleworth
Catalytic convertor. Picture: RAF Mildenhall
There has been a significant rise in the number of catalytic converter thefts in the Brentford, Isleworth and Osterley areas recent/y to the extent that it is being described as an epidemic.
Vehicles of choice are Lexus, Toyota Prius and Honda Jazz hybrid cars, and some owners reportedly have now had catalytic converters stolen for a second time, prompting them to put the car up for sale.
The parts are being stolen to strip them down for the valuable metals they contain such as Platinum and Palladium, which can be double the value of gold. It can take around 60 seconds for the convertor to be stolen.
A recent edition of the Osterley & Wyke Green Residents' Association newsletter has given a list of recent cases.
- Tesco Car Park, Syon Lane. Attempted theft of one on 23rd July from a Mitsubishi Shogun, stopped by a vigilant shopper challenging the thieves
- Syon Lane outside Homebase. A catalytic converter stolen on 23rd July from a Honda Jazz in the early afternoon
- Syon Lane. A catalytic converter stolen overnight on 25th / 26th July from a Toyota Prius
- Witham Road. A catalytic convertor stolen on 28th July –29th July from a Honda Jazz
- Wood Lane. A catalytic convertor stolen sometime between 21st and 30th July from a Toyota Champagne
- Lulworth Avenue. A catalytic convertor stolen on 28th –30th July from a Volvo S40.
- Spring Grove Road. A catalytic convertor was stolen early in the morning on 13th August from a Toyota Prius.
- Jersey Road. A catalytic converter stolen on 15th August mid-morning from a Toyota Auris parked in Wycombe House Cricket Club car park
Subsequently three more incidents on Tesco Syon Lane, Osterley Garden Centre and College Roadhave been reported in the area on 19 & 20 August.
In addition it is recommended that you avoid parking regularly in the same spot and try and do so in an area covered by CCTV. You could rry ‘defensive parking’ against a wall or by another lower vehicle to make it more difficult to reach under your vehicle.
August 21, 2020