Forum Topic

Really well put Tanya.There is a rather peculiar irony.These LTNs both in South Ealing, Northfields and Her in Brentford are some of the quietest urban locations in both Boroughs.There is a minor problem at some times of the day but nothing compared to other locations of similar layout.Their is no proper data. Just assumptive data collated.( rather like the heavily used data about 9000 deaths from pollution in London) In truth that data is a hypothetical figure based on surveys taken in several US cities of different climate conditions to the UK and applied.  This was exposed some years ago by the BBC but still used by Authorities.Kings College keeps putting out statistics but if you go on their website and follow the Twitter feeds of their lecturers and directors they are seriously politicalised people with a clear agenda. Everything they generate is slanted to an agenda.Trouble is when this stuff colds with actual true reality, the desired result is missed.Unless things are done openly and honestly and proper solutions found, nothing gets achieved without a compromise somewhere else.Lying to people who live here to impose on people who live here is not going to solve anything.As no proper data exists , it obvious that any data collected from now onwards will be a huge success. Because vehicle movements are in reality very low for most of each day. It will appear low whatever way it's looked at.  There won't be a massive increase on Windmill Road or South Ealing road, but there will be in certain streets and the noise and pollution and delays will affect all but in concentrated areas instead of being diluted to virtually nothing as it has been.If it ain't broke don't try to fix it but I struggle to think of anything that Authorities have meddled with that has ever made a significant improvement in actuality.People need to grow some and write and persist to all involved. And if necessary vote against ones political leaning to end this period of insanity.It comes from all sides, So it's Govt, ministers as well as local councils.

Raymond Havelock ● 1346d

Thanks for confirming. I had assumed that since it was so utterly ridiculous I must have misunderstood. Apparently not.  We also live in this area and I cannot understand why anyone considers these changes to be anything other than extremely detrimental and not supported in the slightest by the Streetspace rationale. Nor can I see how others consider most of these roads to be ‘rat runs’. My understanding is that these are the aims of Streetspace:- Make it easier and safer for people to keep up social distancing - Help people walk and cycle more often - Avoid a sharp increase in car use to prevent essential deliveries and emergency services being gridlocked - Keep London’s air as clean as possible to protect everyone’s health and reduce carbon emissions Keeping those aims in mind, and as David R Rowlands suggests, yes - please come and take a look. If you are lucky you might see one other local pedestrian walking down any of the roads linking South Ealing Road and Windmill Road (Whitestile, Darwin, Carlyle etc). I could safely socially distance from other pedestrians by probably half the length of the entire road. I meet more cats than people. So, no rationale for making these changes to make it safer for pedestrians - they are already safe. Similar picture for cyclists. Occasionally there is the odd one here or there. There are not thousands of cars hurtling at high speed back and forth between Windmill Road and South Ealing Road to present a threat to this tiny number of cyclists. As Graham Thorpe points out it can be 10 minutes between cars on Whitestile Road. He should know, he lives there. So no rationale either for making it safer for this small number of cyclists - they are already safe. Is it about a causing a sharp increase in car use?  I don’t see how, as these roads are largely used by local people like me. The absurd perception that they are short cuts/rat runs simply isn’t true for MOST of these roads. The idea of Streetspace being the reason for doing this is therefore nonsense. Windmill Road runs virtually parallel to South Ealing Road. Whitestile, Darwin, Carlyle etc are all perpendicular. There is no short cut/rat run in using any of those roads between South Ealing and Windmill Road. It’s just a different route. Driving down Windmill Road and turning into Whitestile Road to get to South Ealing Road isn’t rat running. It’s just using a different street to get to the same place and travelling roughly the same distance. People are allowed to drive down your road to get to places, David. Just like they are allowed to drive down mine. There is absolutely no rationale behind closing those streets to movement left to right. Even if it was ‘rat-running’ (whatever that is) that’s got nothing to do with Streetscape unless it’s about the aims above. The residents of all of these roads will be forced onto South Ealing or Windmill Road depending on what side of the ‘wall’ they live on, for no conceivable Streetspace reason at all.Radbourne Avenue and Enfield Road may be different. These I guess could be used as short cuts so perhaps have increased traffic that presents issues for pedestrians/cyclist safety under the Streetscape rationale. The best solution to this, however, cannot possibly be creating a sort of wall blocking all roads in the middle between Windmill Road and South Ealing Road. I am genuinely glad to hear that the proposed changes will make parts of Junction Road and others quieter and less polluted. This is indeed one of the key aims of the Streetspace scheme. Unfortunately it is clear that these schemes across London are just sacrificing certain roads/areas to protect others. Can I please ask that people consider the impact of these measures beyond a seven-house radius of their own home. The pollution due to idling traffic on Windmill Road and its junctions with adjacent roads is choking. You can taste it, smell it and often see the fog of it. It pervades through all rooms facing this road and its junctions. The changes made to the Great West Road have made this substantially worse; a couple of cars wanting to turn right from Windmill Road onto the Great West Road bring everything to a standstill. At times Windmill Road is busy but South Ealing isn’t and vice versa. A small amount of local traffic travels slowly and safely between the two to even things out - same journey different route. Preventing all cross traffic between them will paralyse Windmill Road unless there are changes to the GWR island arrangement. Traffic will be trapped with nowhere to go and air pollution will increase. Any resident of Whitestile, Carlyle etc on the Windmill Road side will be forced into this, even though previously they would have simply driven the other way on their own road and joined South Ealing Road. I certainly was not asked my views on these changes and would have strongly opposed them. I am prepared to be shown wrong, but far as I can tell these changes do not fulfil any single one of the aims of Streetspace. In fact it appears to actively oppose all of them. It will be less safe for pedestrians along Windmill Road (children walk to school along here too), less safe for cyclists, increase traffic, potentially hold up emergency vehicles and will increase the pollution on this already heavily polluted road and the surrounding areas. 

Tanya Baker ● 1347d

That's really disappointing to see Guy  rehash almost word for word then same things said by Mik Sabiers a Unite Union press release writer and Acton Councillor and Julian Bell and several other councillors and council leaders in London. It's a press release with no actual substantiation.Walthamstow residents have not actually been given the promised review and consultation and if you read the wording carefully it does not refer at all to removing the schemes if the residents so desire. Only "Alter" or modify.In a video conference which the link is online. Julian Bell reveals they have no intention of removing these only ramping them up - such is the contempt towards the electorate that councils know best.No mention of the huge rise in Moped and crime that exists in Walthamstow. Another fact buried. And the avoidance of concerns of Emergency services. Completely ignored over Occupation Lane and dealing with their legal officers and politically subservient directorship.If councils know best then they would have no qualms about doing things properly and consulting and trialling in one location and then try another.It's noticeable that Ealings LTNs are not located in a single busy or problem area but perversely in some of the quietest areas in the borough.And that none are in the power base seats of the regime.So again it's all power ego and politics over truth and pragmatism.There is no actual research available nor any any credibility, No definition of what constitutes a Rat Runner. No idea of what a local journey is made. The definition used in this way makes anyone a Rat Runner the second they leave their own street.  Utter nonsense.Increasing local peoples journey mileage adds to noise, pollution and wasted resources.  Why will that change?As for Mini Holland. Guy et all advocates of that clearly bunked off school too much.Holland is almost completely flat, and has been for a rather long time.London is very hilly Brentford is Uphill South to North.The UK is also far windier than Holland. Something to do with being an Island and having undulating terrain.Only the riverside area is flat East to West.  Oh and Hounslow Heath. But thats got an airport on most of it.How dare any council interfere with peoples living and daily life under false pretence.Rather odd too that it's Labour councils that are not consulting or listening to their electorate.

Raymond Havelock ● 1348d

I think you're wrong, Alison, but time will tell.When the mini-Holland was introduced in Walthamstow there were mass demonstrations against it, with people carrying coffins about. But the mood of the public is not that way now: councillors who supported the scheme generally did well in ensuing elections and those who opposed it did badly.Personally I am not anti-car - I have one myself and I can't really see myself giving it up, though of course there may come a time when I'm no longer fit to drive. In any case, these days I barely use it once a week. However more than 30% of households in Hounslow don't have access to a car and of course that would apply to a much larger number of individuals, for example everyone under 17, many elderly people, many disabled and anyone where a single car is used by one individual for work or commuting.  There are a number of reasons for changing our travel culture at a time when we may have a unique opportunity:- Climate emergency: motorised transport - mostly cars is the largest contributor to greenhouse gases - about 34%, dwarfing industry, domestic energy, aviation etc.- Air pollution: again, road transport (mainly cars) is far and away the major source of particulates, accounting for 3/4 of PM10 and 2/3 of PM2.5. It is also the largest source of NOx, rivalled only by aviation.- Gridlock: I was haunted by data from Wuhan which showed car transport back to pre-lockdown levels at a stage where public transport use was down 80%. If this happened in London nobody could move. All this is on top of the 'softer' reasons why I like low traffic neighbourhoods. They are calmer and safer, and provide some oppostunities to improve the environment. People who live in them would not in general want to go back to how it was before.Councillors know these schemes are controversial. The idea we are doing it as a money grab is quite illogical, as any money we get will get spent on the schemes anyway so if we didn't believe in them there would be no point. Councillors try to improve their areas, otherwise there's no point being a councillor. I think the North Brentford schemes will improve the area and ultimately be appreciated.

Guy Lambert ● 1348d

I'm under 60 and I have a car.  Most of my neighbours in Enfield Road, who are quite a bit younger than I am, also have cars.  In fact I only know of one resident of Enfield Road who doesn't have a car. We have to access our road somehow. We used to be able to do it via Whitestile, Junction or Windmill Roads.  Now it'll be via Windmill Road only.Many of the residents of Enfield Road are what is known as "young families".  They don't all walk to school. I have certainly seen them being ferried to and from school in the family car.  In some cases I believe it's because the children don't attend a local school.I don't generally use my car if I'm just wandering out to Sainsburys or Morrisons or up to Ealing Broadway. I walk. If I'm going further afield then I will use it. Recently I worked in a GP surgery - not in this area.  Without a car I would not have been able to get to work.  Because of its location and also the times we were required to be at work, most of the other admin and clinical staff at the surgery also drove.  You may ask - why not cycle?  That's feasible if there are showers and changing facilities in the workplace but if you're required to look (and smell!) well-presented and professional at work it can be a little tricky if there are not those facilities.  I have just encountered an extremely pongy cyclist in Sainsburys!I would challenge the suggestion that car ownership is confined mainly to older people - it's not. There is also a tendency among the anti-car lobby to assume that everyone in a car is on some frivolous, thoughtless, polluting mission that could just as easily be undertaken on foot or on a bike.  I'd be the first to wag my finger at those who drive half a mile up the road to get a pint of milk or to ferry Tarquin and Anastasia to the local primary because it looks as though it might rain. But the person you see sitting in the queue at traffic lights in the morning could be a doctor or nurse trying to get in for a 7.30am surgery who can't go by train because the Hounslow Loop doesn't start before 8.  All I'm saying is don't make assumptions and don't brand all drivers as the spawn of the devil.My fear is that this scheme will make it harder for local residents to access their homes and push more traffic onto Windmill Road and South Ealing Road, thereby increasing journey times, congestion and pollution overall.  I could be wrong and if I am I'll be happy to eat my words.

Alison Robins ● 1348d