Forum Topic

I think we need to look at the PR regarding bowls and rethink the scope of the people using the space.We have sports colleges in West London, how do they use the bowls green spaces?  Yes, through a sports college... or are sports colleges only about rough sports as played through the last half of the last century.  How are they expending their sports to fit in with the expanding Olympic sports?  My sons were only offered the same 1950’s sports when they went to school, so by now the colleges must have changed to acknowledge some pupils won’t do well at rugby yet would be amazing at ice skating ( a short journey along the M4 to slough) ice hockey and of course, bowls.  What about the skills developed in learning and playing other sports?One of my sons was keen at fishing ( there are an amazing array of skills developed through fishing including taking care of the fish and wild life ) and he knew several school friends who all fished but all who would not discuss their fishing at school because of possible ridicule. They were pretty fearful of this. Another of my sons learnt to ice skate at weekends so he could learn to play ice hockey.  He bumped into another lad from school at the rink who was VERY good at ice skating, and again he asked my son not to say he went ice skating because of fear of ridicule.  The thing is, it was quite a canny thing to do, learning to ice skate, because he was surrounded by girls!I recently threw away a pile of old school newsletters and the same pupils names were mentioned over and over again in each letter - for the rugby, and football yet the school had a roll of hundreds.With the notion of expanding health and fitness and fun for all sports, we cannot afford to close down bowling greens.

Sarah Felstead ● 1162d