Forum Topic

I think it exposes the deficiencies of N.I. Which I have to say I did not know about.The good thing about NI is everybody pays it. The bad thing is that high earners don't pay proportionally more.However, it ought to be paid as long as you are earning/ working whether you are 18 or 80.As for the argument about an increase being unfair for younger people.Well, it's not their fault but those benefitting now ( or who should be) were paying proportionally higher rates of tax and other higher taxes in the 1960s and 1970s that we do now and far more lower earners were paying tax too as the thresholds were much higher.But everyone should pay throughout their working lives and be able to top up either by lump or over a long period at a later date for any breaks ( or living abroad etc.)Young become Old eventually and the prudent plan for that as soon as they are able.  That's the ethos of a welfare state that clearly we all do want and want of the highest quality.However when you compare the Pension scheme that MPs and the establishment get to what others get, and the end of final salary pensions, it's clear that a complete overhaul is really needed.It's not just the social care issue that has been ducked by many governments, self employed pensions which are terrible and in desperate need of reform have been avoided by successive governments since the last Ted Heath/ Harold Wilson /James Callaghan governments.For many that's an entire working life with a system not fixed.

Raymond Havelock ● 934d