Forum Topic

Hounslow deploy CCTV extensively, indeed they upgraded the network a couple of years ago and created a central monitoring centre.But the trouble with CCTV is that it is not very effective at catching flytippers, though it does have some deterrent effect.As for proactivity, we have recently implemented as an experiment a 'Special Waste Service' focused on the borough's worst flytipping hotspots - mainly in central Hounslow. This team of 4 officers has issued 455 Fixed Penalty Notices - mainly for £400 before prompt payment discount - in 6 months of operation and collected over £60K in fines from the two thirds of fines paid so far. They have also advised any households and helped them to secure facilities and identified other abuses such as unregistered Houses in Multiple Occupation.As a result our worst hotspot, Kingsley Road, is now more or less free of flytipping and a number of other sites have been radically improved.We are likely to extend this approach once funding is approved.Our previous attempt to name and shame via publicly viewable CCTV footage 'Grime and Punishment' resulted in no successful tracing of perpetrators, though we are looking to revive this experiment also.We are also actively (if more slowly than I'd prefer) providing receptacles for the rubbish generated by people who live in flats above shops, so they no longer dump bags on the pavement. Apart from being a problem in themselves they tend to attract 'copycats'.These are all proactive initiatives, as is the behaviour change work we are doing with expert advisors. Not all will work and they take a time to roll out when they do, but I don't think anybody can accuse us with justification of not trying to be proactive.Flytipping is notoriously hard to resolve (see recent TV documentaries from around the country) but it is a scourge on the street scene. We are excellent - Hounslow Highways record of collecting reported flytips within 24 hours shows achievement levels well above 99% - at clearing flytips when they occur but I want to stop them happening in the first place.We are just beginning to see results

Guy Lambert ● 934d