Forum Topic

I cycle locally but have never been any good at longer distances. Yet I was a good cross country runner in my youth could run long distances but never replicated on my bike. But for a living I have to drive. It is simple.  No vehicle, No work. It cannot be done any other way.  A great many occupations of a great range only exist because of personal transport.  It is the same for a great many and will remains so. Only so much can be done from a laptop from a room. At the end of the day someone has to go and make things happen, whatever that may be.Then there are those who scrape a living and just get by. They often have to rely on a car as their lifelong to a living. Horrible unsocial hours, longer distances and with the demise of so many local businesses, travelling further afield is all to often the only option to put food on the table and pay the bills.Seriously overlooked is the way in which previous regeneration directors have ridden roughshod over small business locations and wiped out viability and expansion hopes of so many local companies. It's still happening. It seems that unless it's a big employer, Businesses of 15 or less are of no significance.All those pennies add up.But nothing affordable or versatile has been factored into a single development anywhere locally.With huge increases on the cards for the local population and no sign of any tangible improvements to the infrastructure to cope, it is invariable that a great many will only be here for a short time before finding making a living without access to a vehicle will become a serious impediment to paying the bills.Opportunities for proper local quality employment are diminishing at a far greater rate than the population of working age is increasing.With such a limited ratio, how is walking or cycling going to work for all but a tiny amount? Public transport only serves fixed locations and it was being reduced before covid and journey times increased well in advance of the Cycle route to diminish the impact.Take a look at published timetables from 2016 to 2020. Several local routes show the differences in journey times and frequency. Those who use the 237 will know how often the bus stopped for 'frequency spacing' at Gunnersbury and Kew Bridge and similarly at Syon Corner during 2018/19.As ever it will be the most limited groups who will feel it first and then those who find they are trapped.

Raymond Havelock ● 836d

I use the  A4 all the time in preference to the proposed route. It is not perfect but is far safer, easier and journey times about the same.I am not a fast or long distance cyclist although in my early working years in my first job at Hatton Cross, cycled there in summer months. I cycled to college and night school for 3 years and it was easy and safe.You are of course only as safe as you can possibly be for yourself, that is to ride with due care and in a proficient manner and be able to control your machine properly.. in exactly the same way as any other responsible and diligent operator of a vehicle is supposed to be. The only difference is they are tested and examined and insured. So the onus is on the individual to be confident that they are safe and proficient enough to ride at night, in crappy weather and have spacial awareness at all times.There are flaws on the A4 routes which have been caused by bad road planning impeding on the existing cycle track that have made it less safe for cyclists in places and lack of thought or concern. It is a shame that many schools very close by did not push a deaf council on the impeding of the route as long back as the 1970s.But there are many improvements that can rectify this and way enhance and won't cost anything like the cost on trying to cam in a route which is an artery road and at a cost to public transport and commerce and increased pollution in an over developed area from delayed and artificially created congestion. Which has been the general outcome of TfLs designs and works to date. The GW road route is easy to access all the parts of the Borough north and south and to various points of Central hounslow with ease.As for the cafes and restaurants, there are hotels, restaurants, cafes, take aways on both sides of the road and many within 100m off many junctions.As I mentioned it's not perfect. But with little but deft improvements it could be by far the best cycle route in London. Some vegetative shielding was promised 5 years before the Olympics but has never materialised. Dutch style Cycle/ Pedestrian LED lighting pioneered in Holland some 15 years ago never even trialled.Clear signalling at Junctions, Anti slip surface and simple local signage.  It's only in a few places.  Removal of badly placed signs splat in the middle of the cycle road way and painted black or dark grey, what idiot approved that?It's all basics but properly enhanced serves many large residential districts and can run all the way from Hammersmith to Heathrow and Staines and to West Drayton. Not that I will ever manage that distance!Fact is it is 98% in place, not updated or enhanced in 60+ years and won't impede on traffic that keeps people in livelihoods.If money can be blown on a Zebra crossing to " Make a statement" then surely money can be blown on a few markings to make a junction safe for all?

Raymond Havelock ● 837d

The best thing about Cycling is the go anywhere ability - as long as you are fit and able enough to cycle.Cycleways do not address this at all. Sooner or later you have to leave the cycleway and continue on roads that have potholes, slippery surfaces and detritus and poor lighting and road markings.None of these have been even dressed in the slightest.Buses are being used less. But journey times on some local routes are way longer caused mainly by the chocking of artery routes enable cyclists.  Many cyclists - including myself don't cycle withing the bollards of Kew Road or Isleworth because they are to dangerous to overtake or be overtaken by other cyclists and also the sheer number of cyclists who simply cannot ride a bike safely or properly and she no due care to other cyclists. It's pretty much the same on the proper routes.  They are not terribly well designed. But the real damage is to commerce and livelihoods.  Those who work unsocial hours ( and that's very high in this part of the country, also earl less but a car is the only way to make that living. Bus and public transport is often simply ruled out. Unreliable and disrupted too often simply because the infrastructure cannot cope as it is.TfL should focus on its core remit. Public Transport for all. Not just something that can serve only a few and those few who are well enough and fit enough to be able to cycle anywhere anyhow.The way all this is conceived and formulated is an insult to democracy and common sense, an abuse of taxpayers funding when simpler and better all round solutions are simply dismissed.And locally, the fact that the Best cycle route in London remains neglected and bereft of simple improvements which would make it a jewel in the Cycling Crown is the biggest indicator of ineptness by these planners.

Raymond Havelock ● 839d