Forum Topic

Classic lefty swerve. Blame someone else. You are quick to take credit for things, not so quick to take the blame.Did those residents on Swyncombe not notice it was a main road when they bought their homes? And one ‘couldn’t bear it anymore’? Well, there are people who can’t bear a lot of things but have to put up with it.I think your figure of 8,000 is a maximum. What was the average over a given period? As has been pointed out elsewhere Swyncombe was built as a link road for the Underground depot nearby. All the closure has done is push thousands more vehicles onto Windmill Road. That affects residents on that road, and the roads off it, including Whitestile. To say otherwise suggests your brain is more scrambled than you admit.My point about ‘listening’ was obviously not clear enough for you. You listen to those who agre with you, ignore those who don’t. The majority of Whitestile residents wanted the barriers removed. You ignore them because it’s against your policies.Your AA suggestion must be that famous Scouse wit. Since most cyclists in Brentford and Chiswick are local to Carville so are an obvious choice to look after it. They can do even more virtue signalling and do something useful instead. If you are upset about the A4 and M4 you’ve rather missed the boat old bean. They are important arterial routes that keep the economy of London going.Talking of virtue signalling, your zero carbon homes are laughable. Are they using magic carpets to bring in the materials? Hand cranked plant onsite? One small development doesn’t offset the emissions from Ballymore down the road. The hideous Brentford car park is a case in point (and we both know those swanky flats won’t be sellable without car parking despite your guff about car free development).If you are really serious about cutting emissions you’d campaign for Heathrow to be closed down. It’s far and away the biggest polluter on every level in west London. But that would upset the vote in Hounslow wouldn’t it.I don’t expect anything other than political cant from you. But seriously, you should understand that you and your chums don’t have all the answers.

Simon Hayes ● 526d

There were 8000 cars per day going down Swyncombe, and I saw evidence of serious upset among people there including one who was living elsewhere because he couldn't bear it anymore. We reviewed Swyncombe in line with government policy, led by Boris Johnson and implemented by Grant Shapps. Certainly not a Labour policy (remember the London policy in Chiswick High Road was to keep more road and reduce areas of unnecessary pavements in part of Chiswick an approach which was vetoed by Johnson and Shapps - see original and originally revised C9). As to Swyncombe, the general upset in that road amongst those most damaged over weighed the minor inconvenience of those who had to do a maximum deviation (on major roads) of around 1 Km. I'm struggling to see closing Swyncombe East makes a slight difference to Whitestile!We are encouraging people (in line with national policy) to think about using low carbon travel where possible rather than using cars for every journey. Across the borough most new developments in car parks are car free (in Feltham, Hounslow, Chiswick, anywhere) and you may not have noticed that central Hounslow has been completely car free for a number of years.Yes, I've had a number of discussions with Green members about making construction less carbon hungry. That's why we are currently building the first council houses in Brentford with zero carbon and we work very hard on all developments to reduce carbon, often with Green members advising us and holding us to account.Your proposal for Carville is interesting, and I would suggest we ask AA members to take on the role. There are far more of them, they produce many times more toxic gases and carbon, the vast majority of noise pollution, have exclusive rights to use the M4 which splits Carville in 2 and overshadows it with a less than attractive structure.Obviously AA members would be more sensible but it rather misses the point. I want (and in many parks we have them) local people who love the park, use it and care for a beautiful environment.

Guy Lambert ● 526d

There is this obsession with all things digital even though it is often not necessary but worst of all doing things that are not overseen in particular for quality or very often not quite finished or not up to the standard that is reflected in the cost.All around ( and it's not isolated to Brentford ) there are good ideas and initiatives much of which has come about not by councillors but the hard work and dedication of individuals or small community minded groups.Then councillors supporting things in their patch or through their cabinet positions are able to support these through the council machine.But somewhere in that machine things get mashed up and come out  at the end not as expected or falling short.Waterman Park up until 8-10 years ago was a very good well looked after park and always well used. Then it began to get run down.Question is how long will it be before the Rebooted version goes the same way?A good example is the Excellent refurbishment of St Pauls Rec children playground.  I think it's in it's second refurbished state in less than 20 years but it looks like it's overdue for refurbishment already.It is very well used and really liked by kids. But the gates are knackered already, the rubberised ground cover showing signs of breaking up caused by rotted leaves which are all over the place which in turn are rotting much of the fixtures.It's looking neglected and being so new should still look pristine for a good while yet.I've just spoken with a person who has been in the park this morning clearing up broken bottles and drugs detritus. He also noticed the state of the park and remarked that there would be a few locals who would go and clear up and generally do other bits of the park but going into the kid playground unless it is completely empty is not really accepted. He did say it was disappointing that so many users parents don't much=k in to keep it such a way and the council cannot be expected to do everything. But it does need to clear the detritus away and not just empty the overflowing bins."It seems that nothing is considered long term and how long it will last and how to keep it that way.  And looking at Watermans park parts of it look exactly like that, a bit 5 minute wonder rather than a legacy of longevitySo many things are like this to numerous to mention. And so tarnishes such well intended projects.

Raymond Havelock ● 533d