Forum Topic

You will have to wait a bit to see the latest version of proposals for Watermans, but I hope they will be seen in the next couple of months.Watermans Trustees have been unanimous in wanting to move to a site in the town centre (the Police station meets the bill, as would Ballymore) because there is precious little passing clientele on the current site.Hounslow have a retained financial stake on the riverside site, but only as landlord for Watermans. The Max Factor site was sold many years ago to an Insurance company on (from memory) a 999 years lease. This and the cop shop were bought several years ago by a developer.The agreed proposal - now with planning approval by the SoS - has commercial flat development on the prime site on the river with the arts centre and social/affordable  homes on the cop shop site.Nobody particularly likes this, but until we have large changes in the way the property market works this proposal will get us (if it proceeds) a good art centre, a lot of dwellings available to those on the council list or currently in temporary accommodation, and a number of private dwellings on the river, including a much better riverside walk and much more visibility of the river through gaps in the new buildings, where any visual contact is blocked by the existing building.You may not have noticed there are two public car parks, one (Ballymore) about 100M away and Ferry Quays about 250M away. I don't remember how many Blue Badge spaces are provided but there are many street spaces near by which are accessible (free) to BB holders,

Guy Lambert ● 505d

The site of Watermans and the Park was bequeathed to the Town of Brentford by North Thames Gas and whilst the Arts centre never fulfilled it's intended potential i.e. the part of the building that became Max Factors offices in it's first decade the place was a resounding success. Rather ironically the poorest aspect of the place was it's cinema which suffered poor sound and projection quality.  It is now the remaining sparkling jewel of a place that despite it's crap architectural function is second to none as a location.Most people I know don't want the place to budge an inch from it's location but the Trustees for many a year seem bent on moving it and blaming it's woes on it's location. I think that's more akin to a Bad workman blaming his tools....or possibly the tools supplied.But for the site to have been sold without consultation of the people it was bequeathed to should not have happened with a clear outline of the alternative and the support of those who used to use it and miss it's eclectic but mainstream balance which somehow got mislaid a good two decades ago.Such a shame but suspect it's move will actually end up being the end of it and probably will become the Watermans App.I and many who grew up here cannot think of a better location where you can have live events, late events and easy to get to events that cause no issues to residents or businesses and still cannot understand what on earth the Trustees and management are or were thinking.

Raymond Havelock ● 506d

JimI served on the planning committee for about 6 years - off it now, which I regret.I don't remember Ms Biddolph having been on Planning -but I find she was on the committee for about a year in 2018/9 before being replaced by Mike Denniss. I suspect her standing down would probably coincide with her brief adventure as leader of the opposition, which seems to have been unpopular with her own party from what I hear.John Todd (who has a splendidly balanced approach, used to regularly attended the BCC whilst it still existed) has been on Planning all the time I have been a Cllr and Sheila O'Reilly was on the committee in my first term. The equally independent mind exhibited by Mike Denniss (who lives in Brentford) was the other Conservative last administration after Jo Biddolph disappeared.The reality is that local councils have very limited influence on who buys land, decides what they want to build, and when, and who they target as purchasers. Of course, major applications come to planning committee but developers are mostly interested in making a profit and any attempt to reduce the developers net profit below 20% net will regularly be appealed and the inspector will normally find in the developers' favour in that instance. Of course as a local authority we try and get the best outcome we can but we live in a world ruled by largely unfettered capitalism and frankly if the Chinese, Americans, Saudis or Irish can outbid locals they will win.The committee is generally pretty independent and there was at times a little awkward squad often centred on Todd, Louki, Lambert and Collins who often frequently voted against officers' advice and against the Leader (EG Morrisons, Tesco, Ford Dealer in Hounslow, former Pissarros in Chiswick spring to mind, but there were many more)The current committee includes 3 Brentford members (was 4 but Lara asked to be relieved due to work strain) one of whom is the vice chair. There are 3 more who live in Chiswick so 6 members, representing 6 wards in the East of the borough represents nearly a third which is much in line (a bit more than strictly a little over-represented)It's for BrentfordTW8 to do some journalising. I reckon I do my bit!

Guy Lambert ● 507d