Forum Topic

I think the generation this is targeted at are the most prudent and road savvy generation.I wonder too if this is all about how to deal with pavement riders, crossing jumpers,  unlit cyclists and scooterists. In which case, when I'm old enough I would love to attend!Yesterday, I held my breath as a Father was cycling ( with lights on) in twilight.In his charge was, presumably, his son, who is clearly no more than 6 or a very small 7 year old.  No Lights !!  Slipping on frosty road surface and no high Vis.Just enough light to see he had a Mount Carmel school uniform.A van door opened and the occupant of the van just missed the child who swerved and skidded into the middle of the road. He stayed upright but was in danger.  The father oblivious being ahead.Just who in their right mind has charge of a small child riding on the roads in icy conditions and poor light without ensuring the most basic of safety equipment, lights and hi visibility equipment ?Even if the child is so equipped he is so small and so low that he cannot be seen. Even by someone about to cross a road.Why is this daily sight not being taken seriously ?  That's where the education is really needed. Idiot parents who place their children at extreme risk.  This really is where improving relations with the Police can start. They and only they should be running Mandatory Cyling Proficiency schemes for all schoolchildren and adults in charge of their children.A learner driver cannot drive alone- nor can they drive with a novice driver or a non driver. It has to be an experienced full licence holder.But adults who clearly have no road or safety sense let loose with their or even other peoples children on bikes is stupidity beyond belief.And Mount Carmel School should be ashamed of themselves for allowing such insanity. 

Raymond Havelock ● 471d