Forum Topic

Hounslow Expands Council Home Building Programme

I have some questions about this item.(1) The total money being used for the 1000 new homes is, according to the report, a grant of £168m and borrowing of £289m. That's a total of £457m. So it would appear that each home is to be built at a cost of £457,000. Isn't that rather expensive? What will be the mix of the homes in terms of the number of bedrooms? Will the homes be built on Council-owned land?(2) 2) Cllr Tom Bruce is quoted as saying that Hounslow has "a fantastic track record of delivering homes for local people". But when we turn to the Council's published assessment of its housing record the picture seems rather different. The Council's Housing Strategy 2019-2014 tells us that population growth in the borough is exceeding the provision of new homes and that this is producing a trend towards more overcrowding (page 36). The same document informs us that the demand for larger family homes is increasing. Another Council housing publication says that 50% of new homes need to be larger family homes (3+ bedrooms).The Local Plan says that new developments should have at least 30% of larger family homes (in the market and social/affordable sectors). And yet the Planning Committee approves large developments like that for the Tesco-Homebase sites that don't come near meeting even the Local Plan requirement. It is not clear to me how this can be described as a "fantastic" provision of homes for local people?(3) Are the thousand new homes promised additional to the 5000 new homes promised in the Housing Strategy 2019-2014 or are they a repackaging of part of that 5000? The report implies that they are extra to the 5000. I would just like to be clear that that is the case.

David Pavett ● 469d13 Comments