Forum Topic

The key difference between the LCC and the AA is that there’s no local AA groups who meet every month to discuss ‘tactics and strategy’. The LCC boasts openly on its website about its influence on leaders and key persons within local authorities ahead of last year’s elections. Perhaps the real disclosure should be what’s discussed at these meetings with councillors, be they formal or informal. But there’s plenty of evidence if the tail wagging the dog here. To claim otherwise is another big fat lie.AA membership for most is just about breakdown cover. I’ve never met anyone, ever, who’s an active car lobbyist through the AA, RAC or similar organisation.Just this week the LCC published a guide about how to coerce councils into doing its bidding: https://lcc.org.uk/news/lccs-pathways-approach-explained/The language used is quite chilling in its passive-aggressive attitude. Here’s the whole text so people can see what’s really going on:‘This blog explaining LCC’s new ‘pathway’ approach to local group campaigning was originally published in longer form in our ‘London Cyclist’ member’s magazine…Over the last few years London has shifted dramatically on active travel. The delivery of cycling projects and so many other good things, while faltering, has been in the right direction and, at the start of the pandemic, at unprecedented speed. But the results are still far too patchy. So we’ve been thinking hard about how to get each and every borough moving faster and forward. Ultimately, that boils down to the political will to deliver on active travel, climate emissions reductions etc. of the council. But there is a lot borough groups can do to improve the level of political will on these issues a council has.Building on our local election Climate Safe Streets campaign, and work by Dr Megan Sharkey for the University of Westminster, plus that of Chris Kenyon, Cycle Islington, we have distilled down the journey boroughs tend to go on towards becoming a cycling hotspot into a ‘pathway’ of just four stages. These relate directly to the level of political will of the borough council – but it will be the actions of the borough group that help gain political will we’re focusing on.Each move from stage to stage, with the borough group acting to improve the council’s level of political will, might well take time and a lot of effort, but is doable. Some groups may do stage one and two simultaneously, others may leapfrog from one to three. But if we’ve got this right, you should know roughly where your borough currently is and what we have to do next after reading this. And this isn’t a sprint – the journey from stage 1 to 4 is unlikely to be done in less than a couple of years.We’ll increasingly be tailoring our mentoring and information around these key steps, for instance via the soon to arrive ‘Campaigning Resources’ section of the LCC site. This will be a free to use, but sign-in required area of the site where we put all our advice and expertise for campaigners – you’ll be able to access it if you’re working to decarbonise your city’s transport network and make active travel the norm whether you’re in Bromley, Birmingham or Berlin.The first step to a successful local campaigning group is to ensure it’s not just a tiny band of lone voices in the wilderness. Of course, you need a campaign to rally people to (your Climate Safe Streets most immediately achievable, but reasonably high-profile ask is the most obvious starting point). But you will likely need to focus on new members before you fulfil that campaign successfully. So build a campaign to rally people to – then go get those people involved.Where do you advertise your group meetings? What does your social media feed look and feel like? And why should people want to get involved? Make your campaign and meetings lively and welcoming. And reach out not just to cyclists, but to people who’ll agree with your group aims, and build coalitions too.You’re missing a huge audience if you only speak to those who look like you. So talk to everyone and aim to enable anyone from any walk of life to attend meetings (as long as they’re keen on more cycling being a thing, rather than less). ‘Diversity & inclusion’ means being a more inclusive group – that doesn’t put people off attending and indeed goes out of its ways to bring people in. To go further, consider focusing on communities that are impacted most negatively by car dominance – have the worst roads, the worst health outcomes, the lowest access to cycling – often the people in your borough least likely to own cars, and who may well actively benefit from cycling’s affordability. And make sure when someone walks in to a meeting, whatever their walk of life, they’re greeted and gently try to make sure they walk out with someone to talk to or something to do that suits their interests and skills.“When someone is just beginning their campaigning journey, help them reflect on their experiences and skill sets: what can they bring?” Divya Sharma, Cycle Islington‘STAGE 2: ANY WIN AT ALLSo, you’ve the bones of a functional group — you’re warm, you’re welcoming, new people are joining and you’ve got a core campaign that is engaging. Now you need to turn that into a win. You need to be able to point at something in the borough and say ‘we did this — and you can help us win the next thing’.At this point the win won’t likely be miles of high-quality cycle track or half the borough covered in Low Traffic Neighbourhoods (LTNs). This isn’t the time for big visions and long delays on action from council or you. Start small and simple and ask for good (enough), now.Try not to get too caught up in holding the council to account over whether it has achieved the DfT’s technical, new cycle infrastructure design guidance and its high funding bar. What you’re looking for is a scheme that either gets lots more people cycling (and ideally a wider range), makes current people cycling far safer, is really good value for money, is a big leap for the council, or is just really cheap, okay-ish and doesn’t make putting in a better scheme later impossible.Obviously, if a scheme won’t achieve any of the things above, you need to oppose it — but even that should be done to maximise your outcome, not just annoy a councillor enough to tune you out. ‘If only you could do X, Y or Z to improve this scheme we could support it’ is useful framing.To get something happening, you’ll mostly need to target the council leader (the cabinet portfolio holder for transport and officers are useful, but far less important). The leader controls the purse strings, sets the agenda and largely says yes or no to schemes. Spend most campaigning time and effort on them. Try and get a meeting — even better, try and get them out for an hour-long, one-on-one bike ride of the best and worst of the borough.Make sure you show some good the council has done: an old modal filter, parklet or a School Street. But, yes, also show them a road no one in their right mind would let a 12-year-old child ride on and explain why and what their role is in doing something about that.If the leader won’t come on a ride, go for a walk, or just keep trying stuff aligned to what appears to make them tick. Whether it’s social justice, fiscal responsibility, healthy kids or the climate, chances are cycling is a win for that. Again, as part of this process, pick your easiest-to-deliver Climate Safe Streets ask and push them on that.A win on anything will make noise about your campaigning with the public, gee up your existing members to get more involved, and give politicians more confidence they can do this stuff and get good results and praise. Which all makes the next step much easier for them.Of course, any win — even if it’s a single modal filter, a parklet, or a School Street — comes with opposition and risks of wobbles or missteps of the politicians. That’s why going through the journey of a scheme or two will not only build confidence for politicians, it’ll also tend to build trust for them in your group, as you act as an expert on weak points in the scheme and champion for the schemes despite their weak points.“There is no path to trust and action if you treat politicians as an enemy” Chris Kenyon, Cycle Islington‘STAGE 3: CRITICAL FRIENDThis is one of the stages on the journey groups struggle with the most. You’ve got your first few wins under your belt, but they’re not miles of gleaming cycle tracks or giant LTNs. Now is the moment to get the council to step up — it is a climate crisis after all!“Listen and understand. Try to be the adult in the room with councillors. Be people councillors can trust and be easy to deal with,” Michael Robinson, Hounslow Cycling CampaignYou’ll need to be confidante, expert external voice, chief cajoler and cheerleader all in one role. The moment a few half-decent schemes come along, grab a pair of pom-poms and go crazy. Because councils even delivering so-so schemes tend to get noisy opposition.Everyone will hate the council suddenly and politicians often buckle under this pressure. And the last thing they need at this moment is to be shot by both sides. In other words, you cannot get to great schemes without a few average ones.Behind the scenes, yes, you may well need to say stuff like ‘this scheme is good, but…’ with a long list of caveats, but you must back it up by saying something like ‘we support this scheme overall because it will get lots more people cycling, but we urge you to consider X, Y, Z urgently’. In public, you’ll need to be less nuanced and more effusive — because you can be sure those opposed to the scheme will be loud and numerous.This is however, the stage when technical expertise is most needed – you’ll need to be able to scrutinise and assess schemes and adept at constructively cajoling councillors and officers to ‘do better’. After the dust has settled from each scheme, you can again point out your expertise, fix the gaps and get the council to learn from mistakes, so it does the next schemes better, bolder, quicker.“When giving critical feedback always start with some praise” Charlie Fernandes, Brent Cycling Campaign‘STAGE 4: FILL IN THE GAPSOnce the campaign to win political will at a cabinet level is over and borough officers are skilled and experienced at delivery, there will still be gaps to fill. Yes, that means gaps in the cycle route network, but importantly also likely in the representativeness of your group.“Reaching our communities is not that difficult. But people may find it hard to trust you. That’s why LCC should make the most of local partnerships and support groups like ours who work with communities in their own language,” Belgizar, Londra Bisiklet KulübüIf all your meetings are in the south of the borough, and car ownership is higher in the north, chances are there’s roads there yet to be tamed. And a whole bunch of potential campaigners out there that never hear from you, who don’t even feel they’re represented by you.Similarly, while we want all borough groups to always be doing outreach (see Stage 1, above), it’s fairly clear that the arrival of really good infrastructure rolling out at pace is the point at which it gets a lot easier to diversify the kind of people who cycle.There are also often huge inequalities in health outcomes between the richest and the poorest in the borough. Often this is due to hostile roads, car dominant environments, pollution levels etc. You should be seeking to focus on the areas with the worst impacts from Stage 1 as part of your work on equality, diversity & inclusion. But when you’re at Stage 4, any remaining gaps will likely be starkly highlightable on this basis.After you fill in geographic and demographic gaps? We’ve yet to work out stage 5 — and it’ll be interesting to see which borough gets there first. But, hey, the Dutch still have cycle campaigners there too!“During a session for children with disabilities, one of the little girls didn’t seem to have any issues at all. It was only at the end when we got off the bikes that it became clear she had cerebral palsy and could hardly walk at all. This is why I want safe streets, why we do what we do,” Mariam Sayed, JoyRiders Britain

Simon Hayes ● 434d

The reason that there is a nice range of shops still open in Chiswick is, methinks, directly due to the good people of W4, who walk around the corner to use them.There is nothing other than fear for me as a driver, should I be rash enough to want to venture into the area because of all the vehicle restrictions and lack of parking, and cameras.Reading all this recent information about the bike lanes means that the situation has obviously not improved.  I used to go to Sainsburys, but it is far easier to go to Richmond, Manor road, or even better Hampton, St Claire’s.For main shopping and easy parking, I go to Staines.  Otherwise, Kingston.  Richmond is complicated because they want me to decide how long I am going to shop, and pay upfront.  This means that I need to exit on time regardless of what I find in the shops or get a ticket from the very attentive traffic wardens.Staines and Kingston offer pay as you leave, and Staines have a very reasonable parking rate in the 2 rivers car park, which gives a low rate to stay 3 hours.  I think it is an all day rate of a couple of £ on a Sunday.Both theses shopping centres have suffered with shop closures, but there is a nice range of shops and they encourage you to ‘visit’ which means you stay and browse, being able to put purchases into the car and then carry on browsing.  The essence of a good shopping centre.Brentford is pretty strange for a shopping centre.  We go about twice a year to Morrisons but I need somebody with me to help me hold onto the trolley as I put the shopping in the car.  That hill is horrible.The worst thing about going to Morrisons is that dreadful car park that sits opposite reminding me of one of the insults to the people of Brentford who really wanted the best of the Councils negotiations with the developers and who trusted the hard work they had put into the process. Oh, I understand that it is a ‘big ooops!’ That the developers made a mistake in putting it there.  I also understand that in order to make us think that it really wasn’t that bad, that they painted vines up the side.  Was anyone fooled?  It is perfectly dreadful, but in a few years it will probably be changed into a big block of flats, which is probably what the land owner wanted in the first place.  In the meantime Morrisons car park seems to have a large number of workers cars parked there, so stopping passing cars dropping in for a quick shop, oh, I nearly forgot, the car park for all its amazing blazing lights polluting the sky, is still closed.

Sarah Felstead ● 446d