Forum Topic

I wasn’t going to post again on this subject but feel I can’t let GL’s further dishonesty on his blog go unchallenged. If anyone joined one of LBH’s “engagement meetings” back in 2021, you will have heard me ask whether residents’ views on road closures would be considered, only to be told that this was “council policy” and no, there would not be any notice taken to the massive amount of negative feedback to this plan. I was naïve at the time and was a bit surprised that the council would be so cavalier in ignoring the views of those affected – I now understand a bit better how these things work. GL was in the meeting, so clearly was part of the decision process that made this a fait accompli. I would respect him more if he was honest about his and the council’s position, as opposed to the surprisingly honest comments from the other council person, whose name I’ve forgotten but was otherwise fairly unpleasant. So, when GL states in his blog that he isn’t lying and is not riding over democracy, he is clearly (still) lying. Does he think he is performing a Jedi mind trick and we will all start believing this dishonesty if he repeats it often enough? The truth is that the majority of people rejected these road closures, and our views were ignored, as they were always planned to be. I know that some people are not particularly bothered about this issue, but there will be other contentious decisions around the corner, and we know that our views again will not be considered. It’s time people considered voted out this one-party mini state who believe that a big majority allows them to do whatever they like.

Graham Thorpe ● 445d

Lets be fair here.Cllr Lambert is one of a very, very few who do at least engage. He is known to be accessible and responsive.Yes, he is very much in the pocket of his political party and has his own take and will on some issues.  So I don't agree with him on some things and nor might others.That's not enough to fire off insults. No matter how infuriating any responses may be.  He does ride a bike and is seen about a lot on it. It scares me for his own safety but he makes great efforts despite some nasty injuries.Unlike the Mayor of London who has a personal trainer, bag carriers, a fleet of cars and pretends to walk to events by being dropped off a couple of stops or streets away.He is though a politician and therefore open to criticism and should be able to provide answers.  The Party machine no doubt controls what his answers may be.  Pertinent questions are quite valid even if uncomfortable and there are plenty that ought to be asked.But where are all the other local councillors? Or indeed potential candidates from other parties?  Never a peep.  Compare him to Ealing councillors who simply do not engage at all, even by email or post or phone and many do not even attend surgeries.And then there is the electorate.  The turnout in some LBH wards is appallingly low.    Not really enough to validate any sort of mandate.And bolstered by the high population in some wards of students who can vote home and away and don't pay council tax - a loophole that really ought to be addressed as it cannot be right for temporary residents en masse to be calling the shots over council tax paying permanent residents.So please, no insults of a personal nature, just on what is said or not said.

Raymond Havelock ● 445d

I don't think it's fair to trade personal insults, but it is fair to disagree and expect clear and honest answers.And there are a lot of questions over what is really going on about Swyncombe ave.It is all part of a bigger plan to create distorted traffic figures in other streets to justify further LTN type curbs based on pollution figures.Even more cynical, workers are on site all weekend - yet far more pressing things go undone.Is it because a legal challenge will fail if it's deemed to expensive to reopen the road once it is made impossible?That's underhand.Is it because the emergency services ) who do still use the road from the west end have not been fully consulted.Who will accept responsibility if a person dies or perished because and ambulance or emergency vehicle has to make a congestion laden detour to get to South Ealing, Ealing Park or the far end of Swyncombe Ave?Or have the emergency services chiefs been quietly leaned on to keep schtum? After the last revelations emerged. The fact is all the political parties are not being clear and open and the use of rather dubious consultants and unquestioning dictate from the likes of TfL and the Mayor of London is having a detrimental impact of far too many people particularly in the west of London and politics has become an obsession for the players and everyone else .. taxpayers and voters are now simply an inconvenience. The abuse of democracy has become so muddied that it's frankly very depressing and not acceptable for quotes like "that's politics" from councillors.Why? and Why is it so damned hard to tell the truth, or question what seems patently obvious to anyone living and working here?Why pay so much credence to small pressure groups?Why keep quite about being members or associated with extreme action groups?I don't agree with Cllr Lambert's stance or justifications or his reliance on sources that are commissioned by politically obliged organisations.But he is not the problem. It's so much wider than that.

Raymond Havelock ● 446d