Forum Topic

I don’t like the Daily Mail but this story has been confirmed by Seb Dance.Cyclist punches Sadiq Khan’s cycling tsar after being challenged for failing to stop at a pedestrian crossing from a floating bus stop. What’s staggering is that only eight percent of cyclists surveyed stop for pedestrians at crossings. No doubt lardy Lambert will have some cock and bill reason why that’s acceptable or otherwise doesn’t apply here!https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11903603/Sadiq-Khans-cycling-tsar-punched-face-cyclist.htmlSadiq Khan's cycling tsar was punched in the face by a cyclist after he confronted them for for pedalling through an Amsterdam-style 'floating bus stop' without stopping for pedestrians at a zebra crossingDeputy London mayor for Transport Seb Dance revealed the attack happened while he was on his bike last year, allegedly committed by someone on a hire bike. These floating bus stops, overseen by Mr Khan, see busy cycle lanes wedged between the pavement and a bus stop island and are joined by a zebra crossing.However there have been warnings that cyclists often don't stop at them or even slow down.And Mr Dance, the man responsible for London's cycling, has experienced this first-hand, according to The Telegraph.In a video shared with the outlet, he told blindness campaigners that he was cycling alongside a floating bus stop and there was 'someone like you waiting to cross.''I stopped and two of my fellow cyclists didn’t,' he added. 'I then caught up with them and remonstrated with them, and I was punched in the face for my efforts.' Mr Dance agreed that cyclists not following rules was a 'big problem' and the incident he mentioned was reported to police.A survey of 397 cyclists by the publication looked at how the riders behaved while pedestrians waited at three crossings in central London.It found that only eight per cent (33) of the cyclists gave way to the pedestrians - which is required by the Highway Code - and 91.7 per cent did not.Earlier this week, Mr Khan admitted that more needs to be done when asked about the investigation at Mayor's Question time by Conservative health member Emma Best. He said enforcing of the rules is required rather than just raising awareness, as he revealed a review has been launched by Mr Dance and Tfl.'What we can’t have is a situation where somebody is seriously hurt, or even worse, as a consequence of cyclists not following the Highway Code and running over somebody, so it’s really important we do this before, God forbid, that happens rather than afterwards,' he added.Sarah Gayton, the shared space coordinator at the National Federation of the Blind of the UK, suggested cyclists have number plates and said that Mr Dance's alleged attack highlights the risk the bus stops pose to pedestrians.'But what has Seb done about it since then?' she added, as he stressed the need for building of the bus stop to be halted.Mr Dance insisted he was committed to making London a more inclusive city and communicates with Londoners about road safety and accessibility concerns.

Simon Hayes ● 403d

I wish Simon would just stick to making valid and pertinent points rather than call names.  To disagree is one thing, but at least Cllr Lambert engages.  Where are all the others who are permanently silent and evasive but vote and are supposed to be public figures?I'm a bus user, car driver, motor cyclist, once had an HGV licence and have always and still ride a push bike.One thing is clear.  No improvements to cycling will be positive unless there is absolutely no degradation or compromise in the ease and safety of pedestrians and Public transport services and users.A Bicycle is a machine and it can inflict damage and is only ever as good as it's rider.Just like a Motor cycle, a car, a Van , A bus , A light truck or A full size HGV.There is just one difference. Only one wheeled mode does not require any form of testing to see that both machine and rider are fit and proficient for road use.Even E-Scooters require a provisional driving licence ( Just how do so many kids ride unchecked on E-Scooters and E-Bikes? )The standard of Cycling is absolutely dreadful.  Worse now than it's ever been.No spacial awareness, no proper control of the machine, Machines that are not road legal,  riders who cannot ride one handed so never signal, never look and worst of all total arrogance and lack of etiquette of respect.You do get motor vehicle drivers who are the same. But they are few and can easily be reported.Cyclists and scooterists are not even responsible for their own actions.And it's pedestrians who are the main victims.There are just way too many riding badly. If it were fare evading it would be a crisis and clamped down with vigour.But fare evading is not putting people in danger.  Diligence evading is.With Cyclists I now find myself in a tiny minority who ride with the same diligence as if driving an HGV.  I find it almost shameful to ride a bike now.What is the point of spending £millions if the very basics are not in place?And yet motor vehicle users are forced into zero tolerance for the most trivial of road regulation breaches.  One rear light out gets a potential fine.  even when there are 3 or 4 others still working.No lights, wearing black and wearing ear buds?  Running red lights, riding on the wrong side of the road or on the pavements ?  Not even stopped and talked to.And there is one other. That of Kerb drill and pedestrian diligence.But you have to bear in mind that in the category of pedestrians are those great many unseen and unheard people who have ailments or reasons that prevent them riding a bike, or driving a vehicle.According to the Mayor of London, who was being grilled about the amount of ULEZ affected on low incomes, he claimed a huge figure of people on the outer London Boroughs who do not own a car and have no choice but to use Buses ( of which services have been quietly cut back .( As usual percentages with no actual number of people).If that's the case, then why are they also being forced into dangerous and third rate situations exampled by Chiswick High Road where the bus island is lethal and at best daunting.?Clearly, this and other features ( including from a Cycling perspective ) are badly flawed and yet it's seen better to waste a chunk of taxpayers money on a half baked ideal rather than actually get it right.It's the stampede for funding rather than pure common sense and yet again, deeply flawed consultation, ignoring when it does not suit, and too much from activists who do not speak for all cyclists, far from it.Sorting out the potholes, bad pavements, poor signage and making quiet roads better lit and easier to Cycle avoiding the commercial traffic that keeps us all, one way or another in employment would be a better use of funds at a time when so many are really getting stuffed over and so many businesses are looking to leave the Greater London area.

Raymond Havelock ● 405d

The detailed designs are on this link:https://democraticservices.hounslow.gov.uk/documents/g11007/Public%20reports%20pack%20Tuesday%2003-Sep-2019%2019.00%20Cabinet.pdf?T=10It is a document of nearly 1,000 pages and the maps for the new section of the cycleway begin at about page 439.It is quite a short stretch and, as far as I can see there is only one bus island. There is a noticeable reticence about this part of the project compared to the earlier section in Chiswick and little effort has been made by the council to share details.  Maybe expensive visualisations were out of the question but a bit more transparency about what the changes are would have been good.At this stage I'd say what will be most controversial about this bit of the cycleway is the construction delays rather than the lane itself. The one bus island is next to modern flats which may not have as many elderly relatives, there is no loss of bus lane that I can see, there are fewer side entries reducing the risk of collisions between vehicles and cyclists on a bi-directional lane and I don't think the road space for general traffic is being reduced that much overall so there shouldn't be too much traffic generated.However, the road will look very different when it is complete and, as it will be a surprise to many, there may be a bit of a hostile reaction.Interestingly, TfL issued a statement on the Cycleway which talked about the completion of Cycleway 9 but did not mention the Brentford to Hounslow section. This is a far more intrusive project with lots of loss of bus priority and bus islands so it may have been quietly put to sleep.

Jeremy Parkinson ● 407d