Forum Topic

If interested, I submitted a FOI request to TfL for the rationale/regulations behind the changes to the roundabout - this is their response:  https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/transparency/freedom-of-information/foi-request-detail?referenceId=FOI-1679-2324Guy, hopefully this provides the info you needed to help fight the change. This roundabout is the tip of the iceberg of repetitive, endless roadworks and poorly considered road changes that do not support proclaimed aims.The mayor’s plan apparently is for 80% of journeys to be made by walking, cycling and public transport and to help clear London’s air and improve health.The most vulnerable road users are pedestrians (especially children, the elderly and disabled persons), cyclists and motorcyclists. I’m 100% behind pedestrians being safer, making cycling safer, reducing pollution and having a great public transport network. Pretty sure everyone would agree.However, all the road changes/roadworks (including the cycle lanes) over the past 5/6 years either oppose those aims or make roads more dangerous for at least one group of the most vulnerable road users. Yet it seems impossible to determine who is ultimately responsible for these failings and hold them to account; is it TfL? LBH? National Highways? The Mayor?Let’s take the endless roadworks. Is there no-one with oversight/monitoring/evaluating on a local level to make sure roadworks are coordinated, planned (where possible) and completed with minimal impact in a sensible timeframe? If not, there clearly should be - the Mayor should probably add this to his aims. It seems that Thames Water, TfL, Highways, LBH etc can do whatever work they feel like with no prior notice for as long as they want. Repeatedly. Works also take an embarrassing length of time. It took a year to redo the paving on Kew Bridge. Twice. How long is a reasonable amount of time to replace a bit of road to create a cycle path between Chiswick Roundabout and the Steam Museum? It took 3-4 weeks just to replace these silly roundabout traffic lights. That’s not acceptable. If it wasn’t so harmful it would be comical. All the while there is pollution from compressors, long idling traffic jams everywhere and buses held up. This haphazard approach blatantly opposes the Mayor’s pollution aim as well as the aim to encourage public transport. So - who is accountable and what is being done to improve this going forward? Then, let’s look at the road changes in Chiswick High Road, Kew/Brentford to support cycling. Cycling should absolutely be safer, however cyclists have been prioritised above all other vulnerable road users and public transport. Trip hazards aplenty with a mixture of kerbs sometimes there and sometimes not for elderly, disabled and people with pushchairs to navigate. Bollards everywhere reducing lines of sight. Roads that slalom into oncoming traffic. Bus lanes - gone, although I note the plan to reinstate. The changes don’t even go far enough to keep cyclists safe. The lanes vary in width, cut across different sides of the road and are often really good for part of a journey but end suddenly at junctions. Is there honestly anyone who can look at Chiswick High Road and deem it a success? Do these road changes support the Mayor’s aim? Not really. It is better for cyclists but not as good as it could be, it is more dangerous for pedestrians, more polluting with idling traffic and doesn’t support using public transport.It is hard to get on board behind strategies like ULEZ when government/councils/others are happily paralysing the roads with poor decisions, choking fumes and no consequences.

Tanya Baker ● 249d

Thanks NickI did get a response in the end which listed 6 accidents with serious injury over 20 years. Of course, serious covers everything from a broken finger to anything short of death. I have now had an explanation from TfL of what the regulations are that are allegedly offended by the previous version of the Ealing Road junction arrangements."This junction is categorised as a ‘signal controlled roundabout’. According to the standards set out by the Department for Transport in ‘LTN 1/09’ (2009) the previous road layout was non-compliant. The nature of this non-compliance is better explained in another design manual ‘CD -116’ (2004).• CD-116 sets out that direct signal-controlled roundabouts must have traffic signal control on one or more of the approaches and at the corresponding point on the ‘circulatory carriageway’. At Ealing Road the corresponding stop line on the circulatory carriageway is missing (see section 2.7) SignalsAs you know, the previous signal infrastructure had reached the end of its serviceable lifespan and had to be replaced with new modern signal infrastructure. The specification for the new type of signals precludes the previous signal configuration from being retained. This is explained below:• Two conflicting green signals cannot be illuminated at the same time. At this junction the circulating traffic movement and the entry to the junction received green signals at the same time. This is known as a ‘green-green’ conflict. • This ‘green-green’ conflict contravenes the safety requirements set out by the British Standards Institute for traffic signal controllers ‘BS12675’• If this method of operation was put into the new TOPAS 2500 controller the site would simply switch off and register a ‘Class AA1 fault’ — which is classified as a Major Fault — meaning it cannot be turned back on until the fault (i.e. the ‘green-green’ conflict) is resolved. Hence, this junction would not be able to operate under signal control at all if the old method of operation was retained."I am still working on this as is Ruth Cadbury and my suggestion (borrowed from a resident) is to suggest we have a stop light for people looking to make right turns from Ealing Road onto the A4, allowing those going straight on up  or down Ealing Road to continue without hindrance.TfL had a perfectly acceptable arrangement several years ago, which would have allowed Ealing Road users to continue straight over the centre of the roundabout. This was refused by the hierarchy at TfL at which point Tfl seem to have given up trying to find an acceptable solution.

Guy Lambert ● 255d

Very good Post Tanya,I suggest you put it on the Ealing W5 and Chiswick sites too as it's affecting such a wide area.I have been searching and enquiring for weeks now and cannot find any thing or anyone in authority who can explain TfLs claim.  There is nothing that makes the junction " Illegal". It is a roundabout with traffic signals and as we all know it has worked as well as can be expected given the limitations of it.There were roundabout signs and traffic signal signs in situ of all directions for decades But that signage for the junction has been missing for decades, it is seldom maintained ( along with most of the section of A4 under the flyover )It does not have a high accident record especially compared with the Boston Manor Junction, Lionel Road exit and Windmill Road. Usually bumps and scratches from poor use.Lack of signalling by road users is the biggest problems and clear signage.I think we all have a right to know who these decision makers actually are and for a public meeting for them to come and explain with the actual documents that they must be in possession of that declare it's 60 year illegality and actual data for the junction and not the collated and massaged data that TfL have already been rapped over the knuckles for using and misleading this City's taxpayers and citizens.Currently Roadworks are causing chaos and huge delays in far too many local areas and quite frankly just who is supposed to be co-ordinating and putting into place minimising the fallout of such?  Heads really ought to roll.Theres not been a single leaflet drop from TfL about their direct project delays or updates of such delays, and certainly no apology or assurance.Nothing from UK Highways about the damage locally to just about anything transport relatedNothing from LBH, Thames water or any other utility company for their haphazard implementations.No active and effective overseeing of poor signage, traffic management and over the top H&S which is nowhere near the workforce at large. 1.On the A4. 2.Brentford High St at Ealing Road3. St Mary's Road/South Ealing Road4. Northfields Ave,5. Boston Manor Road nr Elthorne Park6. Countless residential roads7. Kew Bridge Road/ Brentford High St again.None of which have advance warnings to divert until it is too late.75 min waits for the 65 on a Sunday evening - Is that really acceptable?It is so badly managed that it can only be deliberate.Very telling that only one councillor has had the guts to speak up but the cabinet councillor for Transport and the officers in charge are rather silent.Could it be that it suits their particular agenda and career prospects?

Raymond Havelock ● 278d

Mr Lambert, can you confirm that TfL have openly refused to tell you which regulations were not met by the perfectly fine traffic lights at South Ealing/Ealing Road/A4 junction?  If they are refusing then a FOI is needed.  I’ll submit it if you need me to.  It’s just a roundabout. A roundabout where no accidents happened. A roundabout that was helped out by some well-timed traffic lights and not helped out by poor road markings. A small number of drivers didn’t give way correctly but it was mostly ok. I’m no road expert, but I think we all agree that ‘put up a few roundabout/give way signs and repaint some lines’ should have been plan A. A department or individual instead made the decision to select this non-eventful roundabout, remove the traffic lights and put up temporary traffic lights for a ridiculous length of time that caused instant 4-way traffic chaos and a significant increase in pollution.  Having then seen how unsuccessful it was they then  s…l…o…w…l…y replaced the temporary ones with new permanent lights with the same timing as the temporary ones.  All because it doesn’t meet regulations that cannot be shared. If that is the case then TfL have got a lot of work to do. Shepherds Bush Green needs closing immediately. Same with Parliament Square and thousands of other ‘roundabouts with some traffic lights’.This has to be actively challenged. I don’t know by whom or the processes, but having lived locally for 50 years I despair of the appalling road decisions made over the past 5/6 years.  Brentford and Chiswick roads are a shambolic mess. Most of the changes seem to be totally unjustified, dangerous and possibly even illegal. Consultation findings from local residents/other interest parties are ignored. Same with expert views. And at the end of the latest fad of road changes, that always take an inordinate amount of time, it all looks worse, is more dangerous for one group of road users, there is more pollution and zero accountability.  Rant over, and starting with the Ealing Road junction - Mr Lambert can you please advise on how we can challenge this more actively.

Tanya Baker ● 283d

I am also a Brentford resident and actually live on the Great West Road between Windmill Road and the South Ealing Road roundabout so feel the congestion affects me as much if not more than anyone else on this forum. Firstly they have now blocked off the junction at Windmill Rd, despite Guy Lamberts hopes that this might be avoided, why? Secondly it is beyond me why they have to restrict such a long stretch of the A4, they are unlikely to be working on all the pillars at once so why net have a restriction that moves along as the work does, surely that would help. Living where I do, and have for the past 30 yrs, I've never known the traffic to be as congested on a daily basis as it is now. The planners at TFL must complete halfwits! I'm sure they probably use some form of software to predict traffic flow and congestion (if they don't then they should) and if they do, and it's any good, they must have known the effect these works would have on local traffic flow. I would agree with some of the comments on here regarding the theory that there is an agenda to restrict traffic flow and to make drivers lives as difficult as possible, if there isn't then they are totally incompetent, either way they need to go. As for the restrictions behind where I live in Challis, Enfield and Whitestile Rd's and Swyncombe Avenue all this does is make the problem worse and force traffic onto other roads. Last night after going to Tesco at Osterley to do the weekly shop  it took me over half an hour to get home, first sitting in traffic on the A4 then on finding no space in the layby outside the house having to carry on up to the roundabout, turn left go up to Darwin Rd, through to Windmill and then into Eastbourne Rd. All at a cost of time, fuel and pollution, the logic, if there is any, is way beyond me!

Simon Foster ● 303d