Forum Topic

Thames Water incompetence

A month or so ago, I noticed a TW worker painting marks and symbols on the tarmac in our cul-de-sac at 358-372 Lionel Road North. I asked what was happening and he said something about a leak and they would need to close the road and dig up the appropriate pipes etc for repair. I asked how long the work would take and he replied that it should be done in a day. I told him that there were several disabled, elderly, seriously ill people in the road so that they should maintain access for emergency services.  A week or so later, the residents received a letter from Thames Water saying that work would commence on 22nd July and would take 4/5 days. We rang Thames Water to remind them of the issues and waited with some trepidation for work to begin. 22nd July arrived and no activity. In fact no activity and no communication from TW for the next week. Then on Saturday 29th, workmen arrived, closed the street (trapping several of our neighbour’s cars) and started work. Phone calls to TW resulted in them telling us that the work would be completed and the road reopened either later that day or, at the latest, on Sunday 30th July. On Sunday 30th a little more work was done but the road remained closed.  A team did come along and resurfaced a small hole in the pavement but ‘forgot’ to fill in the main hole in the roadway. On Monday, despite more phone calls and messages to TW no progress was made and we were told that we could not talk to anyone higher up in the organisation. Again on Tuesday the same lack of any result. This morning (Wednesday) all the residents had to lug their dustbins and recycling boxes to the top of the road as the lorries couldn’t access the road as they would normally do.Any ideas about how we might get this situation resolved???

Mick Brent ● 275d8 Comments

I suggest you keep phoning them and ask for an email address if a manager. Always best to put things in writing if you can. You might want to try contacting the media too, just to put a bit of heat on them.Thames Water is notoriously inefficient and much of its work is subcontracted to companies where there is no direct channel of communication. They turned up unannounced to do major sewer work on our road some years ago. Four workmen, temporary lights, diggers, cages and skips, the whole kit and caboodle.I contacted TW about it as we’d had no notice if works at all, cars were being towed away and the disruption was likely to be huge. A collapsed sewer was the reason, allegedly, and work would take two to three weeksHowever, the whole sorry circus sat on the road for three days, while the workmen whiled away the time in their cabs. Not one second of work was done. On day three a manager arrived from head office out in Reading. A workman was dispatched down a manhole for several minutes. Once he emerged they all started packing up and left within the hour.According to the manager they couldn’t do the work because nobody had ‘scoped out the job’ before issuing the works order! Really? What sort of organisation does that?‘Not to worry,’ said the cheerful manager, ‘it’s all covered in our budget.’ Little wonder TW is in such financial dire straits if its that cavalier with our money.In the end they came back and did the work in a day during the summer holidays.

Simon Hayes ● 275d