Forum Topic

Stephen wrote: "Until this thread, the not-so-pleasant issues of waste management and uncontrollable youth were ours in Brentford to attempt to manage, but now, thanks to the malevolent rantings within this thread the whole world knows that yes, Watermans is a crap 60s design totally unsuitable for the purpose it was built for, and has seen better days. What chance does it have to attract visitors from outside the borough when this dribble ends up in the search engines?"I don't think that the "rantings" have come from those of us who have been, in various ways, questioning various aspects of Watermans' management, programming or physical condition. Indeed, most of such comments have been restrained and somewhat regretfully made. If Watermans is indeed "a crap 60s design totally unsuitable for the purpose it was built for" should we keep this as a closely guarded secret? or should we offer our opinions as to why such issues impact strongly on the effectiveness of Watermans as a community resource? Speaking personally, my concern is much less with Waterman's ability to "attract visitors from outside the borough" than its INABILITY to attract and engage local people. From my own experience as a long-time user of Watermans, the comments people have made are not drivel (or even "dribble") but sad and unfortunately accurate descriptions of the current situation.I think we are all aware of how expensive it is to run community resources nowadays and how it is near impossible to break even for arts-based organisations, but my point would be that if we are going to spend council-tax payers money on an arts facility for Hounslow, that facility should be focussed on providing activities and events which both engage and benefit the local community. Current Arts Council funding does not reflect local needs, only the current flavours-of-the-month of their political masters.I sincerely hope that Watermans survives. I also hope however, that it will change and engage more closely the community it should be serving.

Mick Brent ● 5974d

I have just spent some considerable time reading this entire thread from end-to-end, and am struck by the determined negativity of those sensing the last gasps of a participant in a duel, and the determination to give the thumbs down to the arbiter determining the final death throws.It is sad, really sad that all the incredible amounts of energy are wasted in such ways. What have you achieved here? You have taken an issue that is clearly nation-wide (Times newspaper) singled it out as if it is only happening in Brentford, and hung our dirty laundry out on the line for all the world to see.Until this thread, the not-so-pleasant issues of waste management and uncontrollable youth were ours in Brentford to attempt to manage, but now, thanks to the malevolent rantings within this thread the whole world knows that yes, Watermans is a crap 60s design totally unsuitable for the purpose it was built for, and has seen better days. What chance does it have to attract visitors from outside the borough when this dribble ends up in the search engines?Despite attempts at remaining positive and offering cause to hold on to one of the few Brentford attractions, local councillors and Watermans’ representatives comments are just ignored, with every attempt to prove them to be liars being the primary cause for writing yet more turgid responses.If Watermans disappears it will be one less attraction Brentford has to interest it’s own residents, let alone those from outside its borders. What next? A bitch session that St Lawrence’s Church hasn’t been used in 25 years so it therefore must go as well?Under the guise of ‘do gooders’ people in a very determined manner, have struck through the heart of Watermans and twisted the blade, in an attempt to ensure recovery is not possible. But also sadly for you lot, there are people out there who are willing to put more than just finger on keyboard effort into saving the few attractions Brentford has not only for us but for all.Yes in retrospect Watermans could have gone to the community for 1 day voluntary cleanups such as has been done with the Thames and local parks, but the graffiti kids would be back again within days, such is the design of the building and its nooks and crannies, allowing numerous places to hide and be mischievous. And as far as the money is concerned, there is a huge degree of naivety as to how much it cost to run things these days. Our development of apartments (5 years old, 172 apartments) would last just over one year on £500,000 by the time staff costs, regular and unplanned maintenance are considered. Why is it seen as such a huge amount for such a facility?Come on people, get behind Watermans and see it into purpose built premises in the centre of the South of the High Street development, where it can operate as required according to the demands for art and culture of the day. If it is killed off before it gets there, it has no chance whatsoever.Sign the petition to restore funding to Watermans and back our local community !

Stephen Browne ● 5975d

Hi CorinnaNo, I am not implying anything.  I can see from the thread that Andrew Dakers is fully committed and has a wealth of information on this issue he is sharing with the community via this site and several other media avenues. Matt Harmer too has made some important contributions and these are all no doubt highly valued. What I am saying is that other Cllrs (and two MPs) may have signed the petition and some have  had a photoshoot but these community leaders have not put any muscle behind their pleas  by "demonstrating" or sharing their reasoning with the community. They may well have an in depth knowledge of the operation and benefits of Watermans but they are not sharing it with public. Simply because they signed a petition doesn't convince people. Simply because Tony attacked Iraq didn't mean he was right to do it simply because he was PM.You very kindly posted Peter Thompson's belated statement today but again there was no meat in it was there?  It was the usual political transparent rhetoric rubbish that taxpayers simply don't trust these days with nothing substantial to say i.e. "Council is backing the support"....  "We are extremely shocked and disappointed" ....."we will be making our feelings very clear to the Arts Council about their methods, as well as their decision"....."We are convinced the Arts Council have got it wrong"...."send out a clear message that Watermans is valued and we will fight hard to secure its future.”....The campaign needs some drive and leadership. Questions for the Leader:"Council is backing the support"  exactly how? "we will be making our feelings very clear "  When? how? have you written to them? have you phoned them? why not post an open letter on this site?"We are convinced the Arts Council have got it wrong...."  yes probably.. but explain why you are convinced"send out a clear message that Watermans is valued"  what clear message? tell the local community too!  Supply details of the value to the community." we will fight hard"  what does that mean? what exactly are you going to do?Corinna, I am an avid supporter of campaigns and petitions but you need to regroup and drive the campaign. Has anyone had a meeting with Cllr Thompson to see how he intends to drive this? Has anyone even contacted him by phone or are these all email statements being issued? If he has written to the Arts Council - get a copy of his letter posted here for all to see. Have Ann & Alan Keen actually DONE anything to support the campaign other than sign the petition? Any letters from them to the Arts Council or anyone else you could post for all to see?  It is most encouraging that 5 Cllrs or MP's are 'concerned' about Watermans but their statements will simply change from 'concern' to 'annoyed' if Watermans is forced to close so you really need all those in office to take action rather than simply voice concern. Getting people in the USA and other countries to add their names to the petition will not help you.  .

Steve Taylor ● 5976d

Andrew Dakers wrote"I suspect the reason for the international signatories to the online petition is both that Watermans has supporters that live overseas and also that thepetitionsite is an open, international platform - so supporters of arts around the world are signalling their support."The petition is gaining momentum which is good news for the local people. However for its own, as yet undisclosed, reasons the Arts Council is threatening to withdraw financial support of some £500,000.  Local petitions are a fantastic way to gauge public reaction and opinion but at the end of the day its wonga that is required and I don't believe that 'international' signatories  would count for much even if they support arts from 'around the world'. Watermans should now urge signatories to commit to donations if they are serious.This community has already shown how effective petitions can be if they are managed effectively and demand some commitment. Under the Leadership of one Cllr Andrews and one Ms Hanifa Dobson more than 3,500 local people signed a petition against the mismanagement of Thames Water's Mogden operation. This petition together with sound reasons for the allegations were presented to the Legal Services Commission with a request that they fund a group litigation against Thames Water. The LSC found the reasons sound and they offered funding 'providing residents showed some commitment too'  All that was required was for those genuinely concerned residents to cough up a few  pounds and the LSC were happy to oblige and fund the cast bulk of the litigation.. The same can be said for Watermans. Signatories should be asked if they would be prepared to 'commit' and then the real facts can be provided to the Arts Council, the Borough Council etc.  From what I read on this thread there are very many in support of Watermans and many contributors who are rather scathing (to put it mildly).  There is also, of course,  the  quite predictable  'jump on a bandwagon'  Cllr and even MP support,  some  of whom  provide vague or educated guesses of what Watermans is allegedly about and some who supply no reasoning  for their support.  Some residents are passionate and  provide brilliant reasoning or examples of why the centre should continue and they should be applauded for their efforts but at the end of the day, if this isn't enough to convince the Arts Council, people are going to have to put their money where their mouths are.

Steve Taylor ● 5976d

Glad to see that Hounslow Council are backing Watermans 100%on Council website todayMon, 07 January 2008The London Borough of Hounslow is backing Watermans as it campaigns against proposed Arts Council cuts.The Arts Council of England has proposed withdrawing its funding support to the Brentford arts centre, which contributes substantially to its operational costs. A final decision is expected later this month.Hounslow Council is backing the “Support Watermans 100%” campaign. This asks residents and users to sign an online or paper petition urging the Arts Council to abandon its plan.Councillor Peter Thompson, leader of the London Borough of Hounslow, said: “We are extremely shocked and disappointed that the Arts Council is threatening to withdraw funding from Watermans, and ask them to reverse this decision.“By threatening to cut funding from Watermans, the Arts Council is endangering a much-valued and well-utilised venue, a focal point for the community, and an important cultural asset for the west London region.“Hounslow Council and the Arts Council have hitherto enjoyed a productive, strong, open working relationship in the past, so it is extremely disappointing that it has made this proposal without consulting us, or giving us an opportunity to put forward a view.“We were particularly shocked to receive a letter from the Arts Council that told us they planned to cut funding from Watermans without an explanation of their reasons for it. In fact, this proposed funding cut was buried in the small print of a table, which is hardly a sympathetic approach.“This behind-closed-doors, cloak-and-dagger decision-making and lack of consultation is very hard to swallow and we will be making our feelings very clear to the Arts Council about their methods, as well as their decision."We are convinced the Arts Council have got it wrong and urge residents and supporters to sign the petition and send out a clear message that Watermans is valued and we will fight hard to secure its future.”To register your support Watermans, go to www.watermans.org.uk. People can also sign a petition at Watermans.I am very glad to see this.Can I urge TW8 readers to sign the petition.I certainly do not want to lose Watermans and its contribution to our community.

Corinna Smart ● 5976d

Jim - As Leigh Stops has stated (and I mentioned in a previous posting) I am sure you will be glad to know that the majority of messages of support have been sent in by email.  There is a bug in thepetitionsite.com at the moment that makes it impossible to scroll through the users (I have reported this to the website webmaster).I suspect the reason for the international signatories to the online petition is both that Watermans has supporters that live overseas and also that thepetitionsite is an open, international platform - so supporters of arts around the world are signalling their support.Would you like the Musical Museum and Steam Museum to try and encourage more Asian families to visit?  I certainly would.  I am hoping in the next year or so that more cross-marketing between Brentford venues will occur - and Watermans could be a good entry point for Asian families to then go on and visit the Musicial and Steam Museums.But remember, as I have said before, Asian arts is one strand of Watermans activities.You ask about whether Watermans accounts are in the public domain.  As a charity they have to be.  You can download the accounts of Hounslow Arts Trust from the Charity Commission website.  Once you've done that (rather than jumping to conclusions tempting though that may be!) I would strongly encourage you to meet with a member of the Watermans management team and get beneath the skin of the public accounts.  As with all such documents the accounts wont always give you a feel for how much it costs to put on specific productions and how this compares with other similar organisations.  The management should be able to give you this benchmark data.Best, Andrew

Andrew Dakers ● 5976d

You can see the lady coming down the stairs..so smartly dressed and elegant.. aged probably 70!--------------------------------------------------------I asked her whether she had had an inspiring visit..and she said yes she had. She been to see the film and it was most enjoyable. She attends there regularly and had no gripes!--------------------------------------------------------Two adult ladies and a child approached as I was taking a picture.  The grandmother complained about the curry smell as she walked in and said..not joking..that it almost made her heave (whatever that means!).  Her daughter had had many happy visits in the past... in particular the "Rainbow Fish" event.They had visited today with a yound child 6? to go to the KIDS ZONE. The child was very disappointed..as there was only one revolving image on a wall/floor for him to jump around..to keep him amused.  (just reporting...do the staff ask people questions?---------------------------------------------------------I then went to the MUSICAL MUSEUM down the road..and that was interesting for me and some Polish visitors. Fab music.I asked a volunteer helper there whether many Asian families ever visited. He said that in over 20 years in being involved with the old Piano Museum and the new Musical Museum in Brentford there..he had NOT SEEN ONE!!  Sometimes, maybe an Indian gentleman with a Corporate group..but not an Asian member of joe public... whilst he was on duty!So why does Brentford's Watermans Art Centre's activities have to be centred on Asian Arts?  Before Christmas I wrote to the Arts Council about the matter..and a short reply came from a Mr Singh co-incidently.Please don't call me racist..I've lived in a road and adjoining roads in Isleworth for over 30 years with now an 85% Indian population...it's just that when I go to a place like the Waterman's I want to hear errol garner or someone else on the piano!..not bangla all the time.

Jim Lawes ● 5977d

Speaking with the Mirko Petrivich Duty Manager tonight, at my table, he said his biggest problem was and still is ""the kids from across the road""They come over here at night..as there is unlimited access around the building and into the car park zones..and they cause grafitti and crap, leave their rubbish (empty MacDonalds wrappers?)..so that when the staff arrive in the morning..they worry about what they are going to find.The kids from the Ealing Road area and Haverfield Estate seem to be beyond telling off or punishing. "Some are hooded, and it seems the police can't touch them!Mirko (A Top Manager at the Watermans)indicated that he is having to do the clean up out there himself even..with all the other jobs he has to do too. A hopeful outsourced cleaning contract is now a non starter.."as  we have no money" Mirko was most interested in all my comments and observations..but what was amazing to me is that although he had worked at Watermans for ages..and he works his socks off all day there...he never knew anything about this website BrentfordTW8.com and thus had never seen any of our threads!!  Does this  mean that in their conversations with  Mirko at the Watermans, Andrew, Matt, Ruth or the Keen's had never referred him to this Forum of wisdom!! Maybe everyone thought it was Andersonland only!Mirko suggested that he knew nothing in detail about the money received over and above the £500,000...maybe topping £1,000,000 per annum..and he was amused by my suggestion that he should imagine having to count it all over many days...in £10 notes.  Is he involved in the spending of much of it?But it's the kids that's been a big headache, cars damaged, and cars broken into..the grafitti, the crap..yes Jim you're right about the dustbins.Sadly we may all be out of a job in 2 months time and the place closed down!

Jim Lawes ● 5978d

Whilst Chiswick's hostelries were probably throbbing with afterwork drinkers..and the restaurants were winding up for a busy evening, the Waterman's in contrast was a quiet scene.No-one at the bar drinking, maybe 3 groups of 3 at tables having a natter, and at the far end near the gallery a group of four youngsters having a caring chat. (one in a wheelchair).I took a restaurant table and it was a full 5 minutes before I received attention..having to raise my hand!  Poppadoms arrived soon and the spices..but no plate on which to serve the goodies. No waiter in sight for 5 minutes again..so I called out to the chef in the kitchen.The bangla music was turned down a little and the film had started in the Cinema. The sound there could be heard in my left ear..and the bangla in my right.-----------------------------------------------------The waiter was very pleasant but they were hardly in sight most of the time as the place was so large. My Kingfisher beer had been delivered to the table with a mini tumbler! I wanted the proper vessel..which was another pallava to organise! (realy amateurish!)------------------------------------------------------The main course order was mucked up. I asked for a dry vegetable curry and received something totally foreign!It was sorted in 5 minutes. Only 4 other diners the the time... the cinema had possibly 15 customers.All the staff were pleasant..and I engaged them in chatter..but I have been long spoiled at the Everest 53 Curry restaurant in London Road Isleworth.The restaurant manager told me that he had been ther 5 years..that he had to pay money to the Watermans for the franchise. He remarked on the hard-working management..and the fact that things had been improving.  He asked me to sign the Petition but I said I needed further information.The Restaurant Manager mentioned the popular childrens events.and the Disability events.. but this Friday early evening were just middle aged women and a few men. No Asian customers at all.One scene of cultured style was the gentleman at a table in front on the wi-fi base, using his posh laptop..together with earphones and microphone..and other accessories. Dressed smartly in a black leather waistcoat, he remarked during our conversation, that he lived on a nearby boat..and had just returned from a long period abroad! After I left, he almost had the Watermans to himself! With not a goodbye from the girl in the booking office..I went home.

Jim Lawes ● 5979d

Watermans is a multi-disciplinary Arts Centre in Brentford serving the London Borough of Hounslow, the neighbouring boroughs and the wider community of West London.The main strands of activity are:     * Asian Arts, mainly performing arts in the theatre but stretching across all of the other activities    * New Media Arts    * Participative Arts including drama workshops and dance    * Independent Cinema aimed at a variety of audiences including local film goers, film enthusiasts and families    * Childrens shows and activities including a big Christmas show (NOT THIS YEAR THOUGH!! lAST YEAR?)We aim to engage with the community in as many ways as possible, not just in expecting them to pay to come and see something. For example our Participative Arts programme is very significant as we place great importance on providing opportunities for young people in particular, to have the opportunity to express themselves.Watermans has a strong community focus and many people who come to Watermans feel it is ‘theirs'. It is progressive with a contemporary perspective that is constantly evolving. It aims to be seen as inclusive, providing easy access and particularly welcoming to people who feel most excluded like refugee groups, disabled people, people with young children and those with learning difficulties or mental health issuesWe hope you find Watermans welcoming, surprising, interesting and open-minded.--------------------------------------------------from their website. Where have they gone wrong?

Jim Lawes ● 5980d

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/support-watermans-100%20The petition organisers must be having a nightmare as only some 204 people have signed the on-line petition so far. Looking through the list of the most recent 50 petitioners. 30% seem to be from overseas..and there are no Asian surnames that I can see.Petitioners No 1-150 seem difficult to access and browse.In addition today's HOUNSLOW CHRONICLE gives the Waterman's plight bold front page headlines. The Chronicle decribes the Waterman's as being an Art Centre used by "tens of thousands of residents"!!  Really?Imagine that you were asked to start counting out £500,000 in £10 notes..how long would it take you?  These hugh sums get plastered around and spent without any regard as to how the money was originally sourced...(from you and I no doubt!).You've spent an hour counting those notes and you've still only arrived at £30,000 ..it will thus take you two whole days!Then you've got the money from the Council to count. Then the £100,000 sourced from other places. And don't forget the hire fees we get and the admission charges. You could spend a week counting the money the Waterman's receives each year!Mrs Keen MP is apparently backing the campaign, as are the three Brentford Councillors..Andrew Dakers, Ruth Cadbury and Matt Hamer.  Why did they allow the Watermans to go downhill for so long?Apparently 1000 petition names from elsewhere have been collected (that still works out at £500,000 divided by 1000 = £500 each demanded!!).  They ought to get 10,000 names to justify that hugh financing.Might pop down there later...I might be in for a pleasant surprise!

Jim Lawes ● 5980d

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply Leigh.You will perhaps be surprised by the avalanche of negative responses from Forum members both here in Brentford and in Chiswick too. I sympathise with the problem you have..stirring the porridge in Brentford is not easy.I'm glad that attention is being focussed on these matters...but it may be too late.  Hounslow Council has given big dosh to you in recent years..including a big bonus  (big additional amount) spread over ..was it..5 years.  And that has just ended.In 2005, I started a thread on this Forum called "UGLY BRENTFORD" and can you believe that the Waterman's dustbins view was one of the first illustations.  We posted and posted..and nothing was done. I even sent an e-mail.I have visited the Waterman's in recent years, but having negotiated the ugly car park area..I often found that nothing was happening that was of any interest. No art show, no gift shop, no one sitting at the piano giving an atmospheric half hour on the keyboard, no strain of Elgar or Brahms from the Hi fi system but a boring TV with Asian images, no-one behind the bar offering "tea and buns", no local craft shop, etc etcWhat is the attraction of calling in on the off chance?When I visit the Outer Hebrides, I often visit the delightful Art Centre in Stornoway.. a shop, greetings cards, books about the area, postcards, Art gallery, cinema and stage, a bar and snacks place..a restaurant with a view of the harbour..etc etc. It's a cultural attraction and there are other alternatives there too...the Sawmills for starters. The opinions about the Watermans are perhaps too ingrain to aid your recovery.  I hope it doesn't close..but we should be told what has happened to all the money..and who were the people who ignored the old old warning signs?

Jim Lawes ● 5984d

And the reason a lot of people of this area - ie Brentford and Chiswick, at bit like Notting Hill used to be, who aren't opposed to a bit of avant-guarde stuff, but will not use a certain place when it is seemed to be used as a political status to promote this wishy-washy multi-cultural indoctrination of one tribe over another, in an area which had been quite influenced by Irish decent, is yet another way of this government to impose one culture over another. The SE Asians wouldn't use the cinema because it isn't bold and brash enough to house their beloved Bollywood extraviganzas; they could go to the Feltham cinema for that and the cost of hiring a Bollywood film is not financial viable to met the running cost in such a small area.  As other people have said it was the folk/jazz evenings that drew the crowds, oh and those 'seventies nights' that some people still seem to talk about, then, if the centre had had any foresight could have coupled that with some cult movies on at the cinema like what the 'Gate' used to show you know, Horror month,  SF month, Ingmar Bergman month, French films stuff month, etc.The place is too small to be too financially viable to the mainstream, but on the cult circuit could draw in the crowds.I agree with others that the design is all wrong.  I remember going there several years ago and the smells from the cafeteria reminded of the nauseous wafts from the school canteen; the stench from the curry nights must pervade the place worse than that so perhaps that lower foyer could be made used to house local artists works but still serve coffee and buns.  Afterall the coffee houses on the Chiswick High Road are able to stay in business with just this meagre offering.Oh but this show of support to that Watermans place is nothing to do about making a profit or even breaking or even being a local place to entertain the local communities but to appease the 'powers' that be, to continue to fund this grant maintained monstrosity. That place could be used for so many things that could appeal to the locals but the foresight is not there to expand the consciousness of those in control beyond the boundaries imposed by the rigid demands of appeasing an area of miscontent which has not really existed for the past two decades.

S Passmore ● 5985d

Just to pick up on a few of the comments posted in the past few days..."Ben Hogie:  a privately run enterprise being run so badly in such a great location. "There are badly run private enterprises, even in great locations.  Far from being a "great location" High Street Brentford has for many years been a difficult location for businesses to succeed.  We are now working to put in place measures to improve the environment for business, but these will take a long time and are against a backdrop of blight whilst we wait for progress on plans for the south side of Brentford High Street. "the Watermans building is still dirty and depressing."I don't think its quite that bad, but the building is far from ideal. This is of course why the management/trustees and local community are generally supportive of the principle of moving Watermans to new, well designed premises in the town centre.  I hope Watermans can be integral to this regeneration."Claire de St Croix:  I arrived to find that the film had already started  as the time in the brochure was incorrect...So the box office were very apologetic and gave me a voucher to see it another time ... a good old fashioned Pantomime at Christmas"I'm sorry to hear this and glad that you received compensation - although it would have clearly been far easier for you if the film had been screened at the previously advertised time.I remember enjoying the few pantos that I saw at Watermans ....and I'll never forget a member of the chorus tumbling off the stage into the audience one year!  Fortunately there was no serious injury sustained.It would be interesting to be reminded of the management's reasons for stopping the panto.  This year's Christmas show was "Giraffes can't dance", which provides a contrast to the pantos so many other theatres are running."Neil Chippendale: Please ask the management to read these."I have.  They are.  Leigh Stops responded briefly to some of the queries on ChiswickW4.com a few days ago."Jim Lawes: I noticed that the Art Centre has poor signage."Its improved significantly Jim ...but I agree more could still be done."Mick Brent: is the Arts Council funding not tied to the "Asian Arts" and "New Media" agenda at Watermans ..."Mick, Thats my understanding too, that the Arts Council funding is tied to specific work areas, but I could be wrong.  The upside is that since the shift in the mix of the programme, under new management, the Hounslow Arts Trust (which operates Watermans) have been financially solvent ...at one point in was very precarious.Some of Watermans programmes of work have a strong local focus though involving many young people."10-15 years ago, I and many of my friends and acquaintances were regular users of Watermans, attending theatre performances, the cinema, musical events - especially the very successful Folk Club, and generally using the place as our "local." How was the Watermans Folk Club different to the many folk circles that meet and perform in local pubs?  Did they attract a larger size of audience?  "...Maybe, if the current Arts Council funded activities were reduced and replaced with more populist activities which, with effective publicity,would undoubtedly attract local people, then Watermans might be able to achieve self sufficiency."I am doubtful about the prospects of self-sufficiency (very few arts organisations achieve it).  A real danger is a self-sufficiency goal can lead to barriers to access as tickets for events may become less affordable.  It can also lead to less innovation and creativity if the programme has to be commercial/ populist.  What starts as loss-making/subsidised and unpopular/ unrecognised fringe theatre or art can become mainstream and popular (although not always in the artists' time).  Should populism be the only measure of successful arts?  What is the right balance?Best, Andrew

Andrew Dakers ● 5987d

There were three reasons the Arts Council gave...1. They said they were not convinced of Hounslow Council’s continued financial commitment to Watermans. In addition Watermans were accused of having been slow in driving the plan to relocate. 2. Watermans audiences and programme have not grown as expected3. Watermans have not met their objectives regarding attracting additional fundingIs this true?  Absolutely not. The Arts Council have made a big mistake...1. Hounslow Council’s support for Watermans has been unwavering a. Hounslow Council continue to give Watermans their 100% support b. the redevelopment of Brentford Town Centre and the associated relocation  is a complicated process involving many partners that takes time. There is more momentum behind this project than ever (and Watermans have been a key partner in the High Street Steering Group's work over the past 12 months to ascertain a shared community vision for the town centre)2. Watermans audiences and programme have been growing hugely.a. Over the last 4 years Cinema audiences have grown over 50%b. Over the last 3 years Theatre audiences have grown over 50%c. Over the last 2 years the number of Exhibitions has increased over 50%.3. No objectives for attracting external funding were set by the Arts Council. However Watermans have comfortably exceeded their own target of £50,000 by the end of 2007/8, with projects from Sport England, Baring Foundation, London Councils, European Union and the UK Film Council. In value these represent in excess of £90,000.Best, Andrew

Andrew Dakers ● 5992d